Starter Kit

Being a low man on the totem pole at my job, I didn't have a particularly large budget to work with, so I started with the basics, and continue to work my way up.


Bare Minimum


Q
Item
Cost (Approximate)and 
Where (suggestion)
Why
1
ü  Pair Fiskers or Westcott titanium scissors
About 16 dollars
Walmart/Joann
Sharpness and durability. Upgrade to Fiskers if you aren’t on a budget, but these work well.

1
ü Box of bridal pins
2-3 dollars
Walmart/Joann
I like these better than the ones with the heads because they don’t distort fabric as bad, and its easier to sew over. Don’t get caught in/on the machine as much.

1
ü Measuring Tape
3-5 dollars
Joann
Pretty obvious. Many uses for this tool. I also suggest a ruler as well.

1
ü Iron
Free if you own one already, or about 5-10 dollars for a cheap one.
Walmart
Good tool for ironing fabrics before cutting, during the project and after its finished. I suggest a nonstick type of metal.

1
ü Ironing Board
7-19 dollars
Local store/Walmart
This depends on your preference and how much room you have. A stand up standard sized ironing board is useful for bigger projects and you can let items hang. I prefer a smaller desk top one for use on my work table, and lack of space.

1
ü Black
1.29-4 dollars
Walmart/Joann
Can never have enough black thread!
1
ü White
1.29-4 dollars
Walmart/Joann
Or white thread!
1
ü Typical Notebook
About 89 cents
Anywhere
Perfect for notes, and making your own patterns. Loose paper is harder to keep organized.

1
ü Sewing machine
70-400 dollars
Walmart/online/joann
This is the most expensive, and the most important of all tools. Really can’t do anything without one but maybe a slipstitch. You can get a cheap one, but I suggest around 200 is better. More stitching options (wider project ability), and better quality stitches.

1
ü Chalk or fabric marker
1-2 dollars
Walmart/Joann
For how cheap it is, it is worth every penny. Perfect for marking pattern symbols on the fabric.

3
ü Different sized needles.
2-5 dollars
Walmart/Joann
For hand stitching and basting.
1
ü Tackle Box
About 10 dollars
Walmart
Way better, way organized than a sewing box for all the little notions you collect. I got a 3 shelf  one, and I’m already out growing it.




I'd also add a few things like a trash can, a folding table, or large work table, good pencil, sticky notes, some plastic drawers for fabric and such. 
If you have it in your budget, these are also very useful, but not as crucial as a beginner. Otherwise, collect them over time or as you see fit.

1
ü Self healing cutting mat
30-130 dollars
Walmart/Joann
Best place to get these is Joann Fabrics. They sometimes have deals and have many options.
1
ü Fiskers Rotery Cutter
15 dollars
Joann
Best invention EVER! Makes cutting fabric a dream. At least straight line, no very good on curves. Also extremely sharp, be careful
1
ü Pin Cushion
1-3 dollars
Walmart/Joann
Helps keep your needles in check

-
ü Veriety of thread colors
1-4 dollars/ea.
Walmart/Joann
I suggest at least getting the main colors. Red, green, blue, purple.
1
ü Mannequin
Free-400+ dollars
Home/Joann
There truly are no cheap ones. They literally start at hundreds of dollars. But there is a tutorial on how to make a duct tape one, and its actually fairly useful!

Obviously, these are only a few of the options out there. I am still adding to my collection of stuff. Let me know if I missed anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment